Laboratory Grade Products -VX
Vacuum Rated Stepper motors provide high torque at low speeds. Torque to weight ratio or torque to volume ratio is difficult to beat. The motors function best in positional applications. When combined with micro step drives, they provide excellent slow speed smoothness, high resolution and repeatability.
Rotor nut motors are a mechanical assembly comprised of a motor, a lead screw and a nut. The nut is machined into the hollow shaft of the motor and the lead screw is threaded into the nut. If the mounting system prevents the screw from rotating, the rotary motion of the motor is converted into linear translation. The screw length is limited only by practical considerations. While technically these items are linear actuators because they require external linear bearings, the term "rotor nut motors" was felt to be more descriptive of their function.
Stand alone resolvers: Empire Magnetics, Inc. offers resolvers mounted to motors referred to as the -R options. In addition, a self-contained version (EMR-57 ) provides a convenient feedback device. The resolvers combined with the resolver to digital encoder (RDE) electronics package provides incremental encoder quadrature type signals (electrically the same outputs as a TTL type encoder), or when used with the RDE-B binary option provides absolute position information over the range of the resolver. These combinations provide the customer with rugged, easy to use, feedback devices that will survive harsh environments.
Vacuum Rated Motors Have Been Successfully Installed At:
- U.C. Berkeley Space Sciences Lab: satellite testing
- U.C. Santa Cruz, Lick Observatory: telescope instruments
- Arnold A.F.B.: cryogenic motors and resolvers for test equipment
- Optical Coating Labs: space optics cleaner
- Boeing: air lock controls on space station
- Smithsonian Observatory: space based telescope equipment
- Stanford Linear Accelerator: beam line adjustments and experiments
- J.P.L./Hughes: Satellite testing facility
- Space Industries: Solar panel positioners on Wake Shield satellite
- European Space Agency: satellite based scintillator calibration
- CTA Space Systems: satellite inertial guidance adjustment
- NASA/Langley AFB: wind tunnel controls
- Argonne National Labs: servo systems for beam line
Size 23 Laboratory Grade Vacuum Rated Stepper Motors